Friday, November 4, 2011

Walking to 'Save the ta-tas'

The Susan Komen 5k 'Race for the Cure' was last weekend. I was so excited when my mom and my aunt Debbie decided to do it. Both women have gone through breast cancer and because of the strength God's given them, they've successfully defeated it. I ran it last year in my mom's honor because she had just finished going through the difficulties of the disease (cancer/chemo). It was so hard on her....and then, at about this time last year, the unexpected happened. You may remember this post I wrote that my mom once again got breast cancer for the second time. It was a tough time for the family, but you know...God truly is in control of everything and once again, my strong and beautiful mother made it through successfully. I can't even imagine going through chemo and then doing it all over again. It's been a hard few years for my mom, but my goodness how I admire the woman!
So my entire family-kids and all (minus one, Eunice) was able to walk the walk. It was so much fun and so exciting.  Here are a few pictures of our day:
Survived and Defeated the cancer-Aunt Debbie and my mom
the women I honor
A celebration in their honor-a parade
The Fam


The Ruiz clan-all kids, yes, even my radiant and invisible
white child to the right
The gals
I was so proud that my husband was able to come and support
My cute parents
Aunt Debbie with my sisters
My sister and her husband who also came out
My big girl
And Avonlea who wasn't too thrilled-but once we started she was fine
Aunt Debbie walking hand in hand with the kiddos-Isn't this cute?!
Yay we did it-3.1 miles completed!!!
Thanks Debbie for being such a huge supporter of my mother and for 
making it through a hard battle
Proud of you mom and Debbie!
I'll continue doing this because I love you both so much
The race was a success and we all got emotional at the end. Thank you God for making these women so strong. They have amazing testimonies to share in the years to come!
So are you in next year??

No comments:

Post a Comment