Friday, July 22, 2011

The Amish!

If you know me, you know about my LOVE and PASSION for the Amish. Why you ask???? I don't know. They just intrigue me. I think they're just an amazing and simple group of people. I learned of the Amish when I was 16. My best friend Kristy and I took our first trip to the Amish and we were in heaven. I mean, Kristy even asked her dad if there was such a thing as an Amish camp. :) We would have been all about it.
This is going to sound wierd but I wish I could honestly stay with them for a week/a few days even and learn their every day lives. I know, wierd! But I just think they're lives are so interesting! I mean, they remind me of the "Little House on the Prairie" times and I loved loved loved that show. When I was little, I would imagine myself at the church/school being best friends with Laura and Mary Ingalls. I mean, I even loved Albert. Oh my, I can't believe I'm typing this out to ya'll. My sisters always made fun of me and would say how boring that show was. Nope, not for me.
So yeah, I think of 'Little House on the Prairie' when I think Amish. I would love to be with them for JUST A FEW DAYS! I could not live with them for too many days because I'm so spoiled with our modern day technologies and comfort. I can't walk barefoot (on poop as I saw a little boy doing!), use outdoor houses, have a ton of children, wear the same freakin' clothing and color every day, wake up at sunrise, work the fields, clean all day, etc... I couldn't do this every single day and wake up to do it all over again. But just for one day or a few days I would. I would love to know what they think about, talk about, dream about, etc... When they see us do they refer to us as 'the others'? hahaha. Doesn't that make you think of Lost. To them I'm sure we are though. But really think about it.
Any ways, my family and I visited the Amish in Lawrenceburg, TN a few weekends ago and I just love it! Robert thinks it's almost mean to visit them because he thinks I only go to stare. he doesn't get it and it's not true. I love their organic fresh vegetables that they sell for so cheap. ;)
Here are the only pictures I could get. They don't believe in pictures because according to them it's vain. All the dolls they make have no faces. There's a verse in the bible they go by but I can't think about it right now. So out of respect I didn't take pictures. But if you look below you can see a little boy going into that small house. Their typical colors are dark blues and blacks.
 This is what most of their homes look like...simple, white, and nothing special to it. However, I would die to be able to just step into their homes. They don't allow non-amish people to go into their homes. I would love to see every.room. 
We enjoyed buying veggies and visiting the Amish. The kids are precious. You can try and talk to them, but they won't. I tried asking severals kids at several of our stops for their names and they would not dare! They stare back at us as if we're contagious of some disease. Really. Truly wish I could ask them a zillion questions. Kristy and I will be visiting again in the fall to buy pumpkins. I can't wait!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment